Thursday, January 17, 2008

no 'poo

No, I'm not constipated. I'm doing a hair experiment. I haven't used shampoo (or as I will refer to it here, 'poo) since December 31st. I plan on continuing my no 'poo experiment for a total of 6 weeks, so that means I will be able to shampoo again on February 12th. That is of course if I want to. Why am I doing this experiment? Well mainly it's because I have an addiction to shampoo. Before this I was a once a day 'pooer. I could barely make a day and a half before I felt greasy and yucky. And I knew that I was only making things worse by continuing to shampoo everyday. See when you shampoo, you strip your hair of its natural oils (yay for no grease). The only problem is that because you are stripping your hair of these oils, your body compensates by making more oils. And when you shampoo every day, your body goes into overproduction of these oils and therefore you feel like you need to shampoo everyday. It's a vicious cycle. Well, I'm breaking the cycle!

I have to say, I thought I was going to want to lock myself in my house after a couple of days for the remainder of the six weeks, but it's not as bad as I thought. Mainly because I still get to have a BS/ACV fix once or twice a week. I'll explain in a bit. But you tell me...how does my hair look after 17 days of no 'poo?















I know it's hard to believe I'm not a grease ball after 17 days but my hair feels great. But that is mainly due to the BS/ACV. That stands for Baking Soda and Apple Cider Vinegar. Every four days or so I make a paste of baking soda (1 T. of BS with some water) and then rub that on my scalp. After about 1 minute I rinse it out and then dilute about 2 T. of apple cider vinegar in water and then pour that over the ends of my hair. I let it soak for a minute and then rinse my whole head really well. Sure, I smell a bit like fish 'n' chips for a little while, but the smell dissipates pretty quickly. This works just as good, if not better than shampoo and conditioner and it's way cheaper! My hair feels so soft after I do this. Anyway, if you feel up to the no 'poo challenge, there is all kinds of info out there. You'd be surprised by how many people out there are no 'pooers. Just google no 'poo and give it a shot.

On the hair theme, I just cut Brent's hair and kind of made a boo boo on one of the side burns. See the pic...I mean it's not horrible, but I definitely went into the sideburn too much when I was trimming around the ear.


I've been cutting his hair for a long time now and I have to say that I think I generally do a pretty good job. I don't think I did quite so good a job this time, but I blame the clippers. They are acting funny, which is not good because if they go sometime this year we can't get new ones! The thing that stinks about today's society is that hardly anyone fixes anything anymore, they just throw it away and get something new. I understand why. Often times it costs just as much and maybe more to get something repaired as it does to just buy it new. Why repair the old thing when you can buy something brand new for just as much? We live in such a throw away society. Like if these clippers did break, where would I even take them to get them fixed? It's kind of annoying. Anyway, I just hope they last us a year or that we can find someone to fix them.





No comments:

Post a Comment